Thursday, November 29, 2007

Thing 10

I downloaded an ebook from the library's catalog for the first time. It was a mystery, titled, "The Abbot's Gibbet," one of the few that was not on hold. I did not explore the entire list of downloadable ebooks in the library's catalog, but it seemed that most of the fiction books, at least were all by established writers. I guess there's little or no call for ebooks by little known authors -- like me. As for the library's website, it is amazingly comprehensive -- I can't imagine there's much room for new services to include, but librarians more imaginatiuve than me will come up with some, I'm sure. Up to now, the only areas of the website I have used have been the catalog and my library account. One service that I just thought of that may or may not be practical is to enable patrons to tap into the Library of Congress or other specialized libraries through the SPL website.

1 comment:

The Skokie Ten said...

Good idea! The SPL website does have a "Search Other Libraries" page where people can check the holdings of area libraries. If you click the link to WorldCat.org, you can visit the public version of WorldCat, the unified database for all libraries belonging to OCLC. The Library of Congress is included there, but perhaps an extra link might be in order.

Congratulations on finishing the 10 Things!